We’ve all seen those movies where it takes the villain (or hero) a couple of seconds to pick a lock. It seems so easy. Or what about the good old credit card trick? Just slide a credit card through the door and jimmy the lock for easy access. Do these tricks work? We get some tips from emergency locksmiths.
Not all locks are made equal
The bad news is that some locks are easy to pick if you have the right tools and know-how. It’s important to understand the type of locks securing your home and it is definitely worth investing in quality locks.
Locks that are made pick-resistant have pins that need to elevate to the correct height and rotate in a certain way before they can be opened. They’re not impossible to pick but require a bit of time. This will make it trickier for an opportunistic burglar to gain entry to your home quickly.
One of our popular products – that makes breaking and entering a lot harder – is the Lockwood Double-cylinder Deadbolt. A deadbolt adds an extra measure of security and will prevent a would-be thief using the credit card trick to catch the slanted edge of the lock and force it open.
So, what should you do to secure your home?
- Invest in good quality locks.
- Don’t give thieves anywhere to hide. Cut back the shrubbery near the front door so that you don’t give thieves coverage and the ability to take their time picking a lock. Installing motion sensors or surveillance cameras can also be a deterrent.
- Make sure all your windows are secure.
- Ensure you have locks on your sliding doors.
- Close your blinds/curtains so that your valuables aren’t visible.
Our emergency locksmiths are on-call 24 hours per day, and our mobile locksmiths will be able to give you advice on the best security solutions for your home. We are members of the Master Locksmith Association of Australasia and we ensure that both our service and our products meet and exceed industry standards. If you would like to find out more about our products and the types of locks we install, please give us a call.