Are you heading off to your well-earned break over the holiday season? Have you organised for your neighbour to collect the post or set a timer so the lights turn on in the evening? These days you can’t be too safe and it’s worth making sure your home security is up-to-date before you set off. Here are our home security tips for the holidays.
Over the holiday season burglars keep a watch for the comings and goings of residents and if it’s apparent you’re away and your house is not suitably secured – you’re an easy target. The outer suburbs of Melbourne have higher reported rates of burglaries but the inner-city areas like Collingwood, Brunswick and Richmond still have more break-ins that average.
Here are our Amalgamated Locksmiths home security tips for the holidays.
- Install good quality locks
- Secure your windows and screen doors too
- Remove your hidden emergency key – if someone needs access while you’re gone it’s best to leave a spare key with a trusted neighbour.
- Key Safes are also available to store your keys securely on the property. They are secured with a code that you can give that to a trusted person who may need to gain entry to your house while you’re away.
- Avoid posting your holiday plans on social media – or at least make sure your social media security settings are set to make sure you’re not broadcasting your plans to more than your friends
- Install an alarm system and advertise that you have one (i.e. put the security stickers in a prominent place to show would-be burglars that you have one)
- Secure sensitive personal documents in a fire-proof safe
If you’re interested in finding out more about how you can secure your home for the holidays, don’t hesitate to give us a call. We offer free on-site quotations and all our locksmiths are licensed and professional. We also offer a great emergency locksmith service and we’re on-call 24/7, so if you find you have a sudden situation occur over the holidays – our team of locksmiths are ready to help you.